Saturday, January 7, 2012

2012 and Me

Welcome to 2012, blog.
Both me and my blog had a rough start to the new year (puking in a kitchen sink is never a good way to start anything), and poor bloggy got ignored for a week (or two, but who's counting).
No more!
I'm writing this blog and you're all going to like it, dammit.
So here we go.

I just signed up for online dating.
Some people think that's weird, or lame, or pathetic, but I say "Fuck it."
It isn't how you want your love story to start, certainly, but there's no pressure for these "matches" to be life-long things. In fact, honestly, I'm looking for something pretty short term. Not a one night stand or a booty call, but for the kind of relationship where's there's no pressure to last forever, where both people know and are okay with the idea that it could be two months or six months and then end. No. Big. Deal.

The major problem I have encountered, and you can all agree, is that the kind of men who hit on me in public places and in bars are NOT the kind of guys I really want anything to do with. Ever.
You remember Guy-Who-Went-To-Jail-For-Killing-His-Fiancee-I-Think? Or every man who hit on me while I was abroad?
They're probably not awful guys, but they're looking for someone and something that I'm not, and I neither can nor will provide.

So, with my track record in mind, I said "It's a new year, and I want to try something new."

I don't want to find a long-term boyfriend (barf) or the guy I'm going to marry (ugggggh cheesy). But I do want to meet new people, and have the opportunity to have actual conversations with men who are actually interested in me.
Getting hit on in bars is fine, sort of, but it's not what I like.
Bar hook-ups are fine, if you're safe and smart about it, but they're not what I want anymore.

You'll also be pleased to know that in five days of being signed up, I've got 2 dates already, and a creeper.
So there.

Moral of the story: I'm already living most of my life online, why not just round it out?

1 comment:

  1. I haven't tried it, but the tip I've heard for online dating is to make FRIENDS on the website and then date their friends.

    ReplyDelete