Saturday, February 11, 2012

Saint LovesALot

You guys need to know something.
I never planned on admitting this to the world because it seems to be a magnet for unending shit, but that's okay.
I am ready.
I am willing.


I love Valentine's Day.

Love it.

I have also, never had a Valentine, so don't assume it is that.
Maybe I just always root for the underdog, or maybe I just appreciate an excuse to make cards for people, but I've always enjoyed this much-scorned holiday.

Potentially, it is also because I have a long standing love for big romantic gestures.
Most people are never on the receiving end of them, which is sad but I know that it is how the world works.
I don't necessarily want to have one directed at me, okay, I do, but only because I want to react like Lucille Ostero in Arrested Development and say "How Grand! How terribly grand!" when something happens.
I just enjoy watching things like that happen. It is sweet and fun, and reaffirms my faith in love and junk.
I've never seen any thing like that in real life, but that is okay. The closest I came was when I guy proposed in the Up&Up in October. I've told you about my favorite bar before, and I described it as "NOT the kind of bar you hit on people at. It's all booths and tables and full of groups of friends. It's like the Cheers bar but better because no one is sad and we're all a lot younger." So we're sitting there and all of the sudden, across the way in a big booth is a dude on his knees in front of a girl and she says yes. I like to think that maybe that is where they went on their first date or had their first kiss, but also maybe not. I think they were also in the middle of a friend's birthday party, so...way to steal her thunder, guys.
But anyways, big romantic gestures are rare but fun, and I like them and any excuse for them.

St. Valentine's Day is also a great holiday for me because I get to make cards.

This year I only made about 38, so it is way down from some years in high school when it was closer to 80. They're all hand made and individual and no two are alike and I love doing it. I know that not many people do that anymore, since it hasn't been required since, like, 5th grade, but I really like doing it. I make cards for Christmas and birthdays too, obviously, but Valentine's is my favorite.
It is easy for people to get grumpy and lonely on this day dedicated to illegal marriages, so getting a card always appreciated.

Also it as an opportunity to show off how witty I am.



















And I am pretty witty.

As you can see.



But that's not the point.

It is about other people, and that is awesome.


Moral of the story: I love Valentine's Day, obviously.

1 comment: